Seniors Information Service
Residential Aged Care
Vacancies & Lists
Search for Residential Care
Supported Residential Facilities
Home Support and Care Options
Retirement Housing
Health & Wellbeing
Legal & Consumer
Money & Work
Leisure Travel & Lifestyle
Ethnic Communities
Issues & News

Residential Aged Care

Many older people find that living at home becomes more difficult for a variety of reasons such as illness, disability, reduced mobility, isolation or the problems of maintaining a large property. It is important to look at the reasons for not being able to cope and find out if there are services available in your area to help you.

To find out about home support services contact Access2HomeCare, te. 1300 130 551.

Related pages

Vacancies & Lists

Search for Residential Care


Information for print or download (pdf)

Residential Aged Care Facilities (this page)

Finding a Residential Aged Care Facility - Steps to take

Choosing a Residential Aged Care Facility - A checklist

Respite care

What is residential aged care?

You may decide that you need the care provided by a residential aged care facility.

As well as providing accommodation, residential care facilities provide:

  • meals
  • cleaning and laundry
  • assistance with showering and dressing
  • nursing care including medication management
  • social activities

Facilities can vary in style, size and age. Some give priority to certain groups, such as war veterans, Aboriginal people or people from non-English speaking backgrounds.

Some facilities provide a secure area and/or a special program for people suffering with dementia.

Residential care facilities may be privately owned or run by church organisations, local councils and not-for-profit organisations. The Australian government accredits, regulates and subsidises residential aged care facilities.

Will I need to pay?

Fees do apply in residential aged care and are worked out according to your ability to pay. There are two types:

  • Daily fees
  • Means-tested fees
  • Accommodation payments

Daily fees are your contribution to your daily living costs and care (meals, laundry, cleaning, personal and nursing care). The amount you pay will depend on your income and assets.

Accommodation payments are your contribution to the cost of the accommodation. You will only pay an accommodation payment if you have income and assets over a certain amount. Facilities receive a higher government subsidy for residents who cannot pay an accommodation payment.

Hardship provisions exist to help residents who have genuine difficulty paying fees and payments.

What are ‘extra services’?

Some facilities provide‘extra services’. This means that the facility offers a higher standard of accommodation, food or services. It does not mean that a higher standard of care is offered. All facilities must meet the same care standards set by the Australian government.

Extra services facilities charge more. ‘Extra services’ may vary and may be a bigger room, a glass of wine with the evening meal, greater choice of meals and/or superior décor. If you choose to enter an extra service aged care home, an extra service agreement must be made between the aged care provider and the resident, in addition to the normal resident agreement. It should specify what the home will provide at a higher standard, how much features will cost and how often the extra service fees can be increased and by how much.

Additional optional services

From 1st July 2014 all aged care facilities will be able to offer additional amenities such as increased entertainment choices on an opt-in opt-out basis and charge a fee to be agreed with the resident.

What is respite?

Some facilities have short-term care called respite. This is normally used to give carers a break but can also be used when a carer becomes ill or needs time off for a planned hospital stay.

Am I eligible?

You will need to be assessed by an Aged Care Assessment Team (ACAT). ACATs assess and approve people for entry into aged care facilities. The assessment will determine the level of care you require and how that care can best be provided. Anyone can contact the ACAT to arrange an assessment and there is no charge. A member of the ACAT will visit you and discuss your needs, including health, mobility and social needs. 

From 1st July 2014 the ACAT approval will no longer refer to low-level or high-level permanent residential aged care categories.

On 1 July 2014, all existing high-level permanent residential care approvals and low-level permanent residential care approvals that are still valid will become general residential care approvals which can be used at any aged care home.

After 1 July 2014 the low-level and high-level care categories will still apply for approvals for residential respite care.

An ACAT approval for high level permanent care and high and low level respite care does not lapse, unless stated in the approval. An ACAT approval for low level permanent care lapses 12 months from the day after the approval was given. There is no need for reassessment by the ACAT unless your care needs change.

In the Adelaide metropolitan area contact the Adelaide ACAT, tel.1300 296 738.  For ACATs in the country regions, contact Seniors Information Service (SIS), tel. 8168 8776 (SA country callers 1800 636 368)

Are standards of care monitored?

The Australian Aged Care Quality Agency (Quality Agency) accredits and monitors care standards in all facilities. Accreditation is the formal recognition that an aged care facility is operating in accordance with the legislative requirements of the Aged Care Act 1997 and is providing high quality care.

Facilities must be accredited by the Quality Agency in order to receive funding from the Australian Government.

Existing aged care facilities are usually awarded three years accreditation if they are performing well.

If a facility fails to meet the Accreditation Standards or other responsibilities under the Act, the home may:

  • be given time to make the necessary improvements
  • be approved but for less than the usual three years
  • be refused accreditation
  • stop receiving funding from the Australian Government Department of Social Services

Accreditation Reports are available at the Agency’s website:  (scroll down to “Find a Report on a Home”).

How do I make a complaint?

You can complain if you are not satisfied with the service or care provided. The Australian Government’s Aged Care Complaints Scheme deals with complaints and concerns in aged care facilities, tel. 1800 550 552.
You can also contact the Aged Rights Advocacy Service Inc. (ARAS). They can provide information about your rights and an advocate to help you resolve issues, tel. 8232 5377 or 1800 700 600 (country callers).

Australian Government  - Charter of Rights and Responsibilities for Home Care

Australian Government - Charter of Residents Rights and Responsibilities

Country services

Commonwealth subsidised residential care facilities are also provided in larger regional centres in country areas.

In some small rural communities funding is provided by both state and Australian governments to enable hospitals/health services to provide aged care. These are called Multipurpose Services.

Some country hospitals also provide Nursing Home Type Places (NHTP) beds.

High or low care may be offered in Multipurpose Services or NHTPs. An ACAT assessment is required and the same standards of care apply. However fees may differ from residential aged care facilities.


FREE Aged Care Fees and Charges Seminar

When: Every month on a Wed
Time: 10am - 12pm
Where: 149 Currie St, Adelaide

Booking is essential. Contact us on 8168 8776


Seniors Information Service is supported by funding from the Australian Government under the Commonwealth HACC Program.